Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (2013) Improving marketing efficiency, postharvest management and value addition of sweetpotato in Papua New Guinea
- The overall aim of this project was to improve the livelihoods of farmers and other participants in the sweetpotato supply chain in PNG, and the potato supply chain in Australia, by improving marketing efficiency, postharvest management, and value addition. The project aimed to address issues in heavy product losses and high costs of marketing in long distance sweetpotato marketing from the PNG highlands to coastal markets.
- Most significant impacts included:
- Increased income for smallholder farmers through improved access to credit and money management skills, better postharvest handling practices, and improved understand of marketing costs and returns.
- Empowerment of women due to improved marketing skills and financial literacy.
- Improved capacity for extension officers in linking farmers to services providers.